Mayor Bowman presents 2016 Mayor’s BIZ Awards
At today’s 2016 Mayor’s Business Improvement Zones (BIZ) Awards ceremony, Mayor Brian Bowman will recognize 16 Winnipeg individuals and organizations that have made contributions to enhance their local Business Improvement Zones.
“I have always been a proponent of the work our BIZ do to help grow our city,” said Mayor Bowman. “The Mayor’s Awards provide an opportunity to show our gratitude and appreciation for the positive outcomes Winnipeggers are achieving through our BIZ. Congratulations to all the award recipients today, and thank you for contributing towards a stronger Winnipeg.”
The annual Mayor’s BIZ Awards acknowledge contributions to BIZ zones through marketing, special events and promotions, as well as area beautification and safety, among other areas.
The 2016 Mayor’s BIZ Award recipients are:
• Beverley Gorenstein – Academy Road BIZ
• Sal Aysan – Corydon Avenue BIZ
• Metro Enviro Team – Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
• Mike Del Buono & Nick Van Seggelen – Exchange District BIZ
• Matt de la Lande – North End BIZ
• 300 Tache Ltd – Norwood Grove BIZ
• Shelly Glover and Nancy Allan – Old St. Vital BIZ
• Mykola (Nick) Kowalchuk – Osborne Village BIZ
• Caisse Groupe Financier | Caisse Financial Group – Provencher Blvd BIZ
• Grant Forzley – St. James Village BIZ
• David Kaisaris – St. Norbert BIZ
• Gus Gamianakos – Selkirk Avenue BIZ
• Jane Wilson – South Osbourne BIZ
• Tom Nesby – Transcona BIZ
• Honourable Charles Huband – West Broadway BIZ
• Independent Jewellers – West End BIZ
Almost 5,000 businesses are represented among the 16 Business Improvement Zones in Winnipeg. Each zone has its own mandate and mission statement, but all work toward enhancing their zone for business members. The Downtown BIZ was established in 1989 as the first BIZ zone, while the St. Norbert BIZ is the most recent addition.