Advisory Committee Struck to Consider Options on the Future of the Hudson’s Bay Building in Downtown Winnipeg
WINNIPEG – Today, Mayor Brian Bowman announced the formation of The Bay Downtown Advisory Committee, which will advise on opportunities for the future use of the Hudson’s Bay Company’s (HBC) landmark downtown location at 450 Portage Avenue.
“Many Winnipeggers have fond memories of the Bay Downtown and it has historical significance to the history of our city,” said Mayor Brian Bowman. “While it is disappointing to see this landmark location close its doors, it represents an opportunity to think creatively about how this prime real estate can continue to have significance in our downtown. I’m looking forward to hearing back from the Committee over the coming months.”
Membership of The Bay Downtown Advisory Committee will consist of:
- Dayna Spiring, President, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Economic Development Winnipeg Inc., City of Winnipeg (Chair)
- Sandy Riley, CEO of Richardson Financial Group Ltd.
- Sherri Rollins, Councillor for Fort Rouge, East Fort Garry, City of Winnipeg
- Jessica Dumas, President of Jessica Dumas Coaching and Training
- Kate Fenske, CEO of Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, City of Winnipeg
- Angela Mathieson, President, CEO of CentreVenture, City of Winnipeg
- Bruce Moore, Senior Vice President Real Estate, Hudson’s Bay
- John Kiernan, Director of Planning, Property and Development, City of Winnipeg
Members of the Committee will engage with HBC to understand its desired divestment strategy, engage with interested third parties and advise on ways to possibly engage the private and public sector on the repurposing of the building. The Committee will also engage partners committed to conserving and respecting the building’s historical designation.
The Committee will consider and pursue a variety of future use opportunities including, but not limited to, residential, mixed use, commercial use, educational, cultural, social and public service options. The Committee will advise on the optimal use of the building and prioritize plans which emphasize the long-term sustainability and economic viability of the site.